After AC Milan made it clear to anyone attempting to court Thiago Silva that their star defender is not for sale, Manchester City have been forced to look for other options this summer. Vasco da Gama defender Dede is considered the best central defender playing in Brazil today, and with City set to fight it out with PSG over his signature, talkSPORT's Transfer Spotlight has more....
Name: Andersol Vital 'Dede' da Silva
Date of birth: July 1 1988
Birthplace: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Position: Central defender/sweeper
Club: Vasco da Gama
International appearances: 2 (Brazil)
Honours: Copa do Brasil (2011), Superclasico de las Americas (2011)
What's the latest?
Dede's performances for Vasco da Gama have led to calls for him to replace one of Brazil's Europe-based centre backs in the national team. European clubs are starting to take notice too, and after AC Milan convinced Thiago Silva to stay at the San Siro, PSG and Manchester City made Vasco's defender their top priority. The player says he's waiting for a concrete offer from either club and, with Vasco reportedly snowed-under by debt, it will be hard for the Brazilian team to fend off the wealthy suitors.
Did you know?
1) Dede started his football schooling with the Volta Redonda academy and was promoted to the first team in 2008. After 100 games and 13 goals with the side, he signed for Vasco da Gama in 2009.
2) Dede experienced a tough time during his early days at Vasco and found it so difficult to break into the team that it was rumoured he would be transferred at the end of the 2009-10 season. He finally got his break in a match against Vitoria after Vasco were hit with an injury crisis. Dede played so well in the game that the club offered him a contract extension and a permanent position in the starting line-up.
3) In 2011 Dede's performances won him the award of the best right-sided central defender in the Campeonato Cariocao, the state league of Rio.
4) In November 2011, Dede completed his 100th game for Vasco da Gama, scoring two goals and assisting another, as well as winning man of the match.
5) Dede has picked up a number of nicknames during his time at Vasco, including 'the Myth', 'Dedeckenbauer' and 'Dedelicious'!
“It's only speculation at the moment, nothing is concrete. I'm still waiting to see what Vasco's position is. I want to know what is real and what is speculation.”
Check out this video from Brazilian TV of Dede bossing Neymar during a clash between Vasco and Santos...
Do City need another centre-back? Comment below...