Man United look poised to bring in more attacking talent in January after reports emerged suggesting the Red Devils are tracking Roma attacking midfielder Erik Lamela. talkSPORT's Transfer Spotlight has more on the promising star...
Name: Erik Manuel Lamela
Date of birth: 25/03/92
Birthplace: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Position: Attacking midfielder
International: Capped by Argentina
What's the latest?
Sir Alex Ferguson is a known admirer of Lamela and it is thought that United tabled an offer of around £13m for him in the summer, only to have it refused. The Red Devils are now poised to return with a better deal in the winter transfer window, so will they succeed at the second time of asking?
Did you know?
1) Lamela started out in the youth ranks of River Plate in Argentina and in 2004, Barcelona made approach to try and sign the precocious 12-year-old. The club, though, rejected the offer.
2) The attacker made his first team debut for River in June 2009, but he would have to wait over a year to score his first senior goal, which came against Colon on 5 December, 2010. A Milan scout was present at the tie, but the player resisted a move and the following season was rewarded with River's prestigious number 10 shirt, worn by the likes of Pablo Aimar and Marcelo Gallardo.
3) Milan returned for the striker in 2011, but their offer was again rejected, along with a similar approach from Atletico Madrid. In the end, River finally agreed to sell him to Roma for £14.5m and after a strong start to the youngster's career with La Maggica following is move to Italy, Roma legend Francesco Totti heaped praise on him, saying he "has everything necessary to be my heir”.
4) After resisting a move to United in the summer, Lamella has been in blistering form for Roma this season, scoring eight goals and assisting one in 11 games, including a strike against Lazio in the Rome derby.
5) The youngster turned out for Argentina at U20 level and received his first call-up to the senior side from Sergio Batista in May 2011, making his debut in a friendly against Paraguay. He received a second call-up to play a friendly against Switzerland in February 2012, but didn't make an appearance.
“Until a few days ago he was considered an unknown quantity. Now he's living a very positive moment and playing very well.”
- Former Roma captain Giuseppe Giannini after Lamela's goal against Lazio
Would Lamela be a good signing for Man United? Let us know below...