Chelsea are believed to be in the process of bringing in their next Brazilian attacker, after it emerged that the Blues are in the advanced stages of negotiations over Metalist Kharkiv forward Taison. talkSPORT have more on the 24-year-old....
Name: Taison Barcellos Freda
Date of birth: January 13, 1988
Birthplace: Pelotas, Brazil
Club: Metalist Kharkiv
Honours: Copa Libertadores (South America's Champions League equivalent, 2010), Copa Sudamericana (South America's Europa League equivalent, 2008), Campeonato Gaucho (State championship of Rio Grande do Sul, 2008 and 2009)
International appearances: N/A
What's the latest?
Currently in his third season with Ukrainian side Metalist Kharkiv, Taison came to the club from Brazilian side Internacional, the same team with whom Oscar used to ply his trade. The Blues have been linked with the player for a number of months, but recent reports go one step further and suggest Chelsea are in the advanced stages of negotiating a move to Stamford Bridge. The versatile attacker could operate on the wing or, alternatively, in place of Fernando Torres at the centre of the attack.
Did you know?
1) Taison joined Brazilian third division side Progresso FC as a 13-year-old, and though he was invited on a short trial with Internacional, he was initially rejected after being given only ten minutes of a match to shine. After returning to Progresso, he featured in the local Roraima state championship and performed well. Internacional eventually came back for a second look at the forward, taking him in to their youth academy in 2006 on a deal running until 2013.
2) The Brazilian made his first team debut with Internacional in 2008 and by 2009 he had established himself firmly in the side, finishing top scorer of both the Campeonato Gaucho with 15 goals and in the Copa do Brasil with seven.
3) Internacional received offers for Taison from various clubs in Europe, including Ligue 1 and Bundesliga sides, but ultimately chose to accept €6m for his transfer to Ukrainian side Metalist Kharkiv. In January 2012, after getting off to a bright start at his new club, he was voted best new player in Ukraine, notably pipping Shakhtar's Willian to the accolade.
4) Chelsea's interest in the striker is believed to have stemmed from his goal against Sampdoria in a 2-1 Europa League victory in October 2010, which Blues owner Roman Abramovich is said to have watched in person at the Metalist Stadium in Ukraine.
5) The Brazilian scored an incredible Marco van Basten style volley against Rosenborg on November 8, 2012 in the Europa League. In the same game he also provided the assist for the second in a 3-1 win.
“I think this is the finest goal scored on a football pitch for ten years. It was crazy .” Rosenborg striker Steffen Iversen in reaction to Taison's volley
“I waited for him to control the ball, like a normal player would do. I just have to applaud it. I've never experienced anything like it in my career, I think it's better than Van Basten's” Rosenborg defender and captain Mikel Dorsin, who was closest to the Brazilian when he struck the ball
Would Taison help alleviate the pressure on Fernando Torres? Have your say by leaving a comment below...