Arsene Wenger could be ready to add a new defensive midfielder to his side after reports emerged that the Gunners will move for Bayern Munich man Luiz Gustavo in January. With the Brazil international said to be available for £10m, talkSPORT have more on the versatile Bayern star who's the subject of Arsenal transfer rumours...
Name: Luiz Gustavo Dias
Date of birth: 23 July 1987
Birthplace: Pindamonhangaba, Brazil
Club: Bayern Munich
Position: Defensive midfielder
Honours: DFL-Supercup (German equivalent of the Community Shield, 2012)
International appearances: Two Brazil caps to date (11 December 2012)
What's the latest?
Gustavo was originally tasked with filling the gap left by Mark Van Bommel's departure from Bayern, but the 25-year-old has fallen out of favour under coach Jupp Heynckes recently, after the arrival of former Athletic Bilbao man Javi Martinez. With Arsene Wenger believed to be in the market for a defensive midfielder, Gustavo has a good pedigree and, crucially, could be available, though it's believed the Gunners would need to part with £10m for his signature.
Did you know?
1) Luiz Gustavo started out with Corinthians Alagoas in his home nation of Brazil, and spent a brief loan spell at CRB in the Brazilian second division during the first half of 2007. It was a further loan move to German side Hoffenheim in August 2007 that really kick-started his career, however.
2) At Hoffenheim, Gustavo played a part in their successful campaign for promotion to the Bundesliga in the 2007/08 season. The Brazilian then became a stalwart of the Hoffenheim line-up in the German First Division in 2008/09, making 28 appearances in their surprise run to seventh place.
3) Hoffenheim agreed to sell the midfielder to Bayern Munich in January 2011 for €15m (approximately £12.1m), with Gustavo brought in to replace Mark van Bommel, who moved on to Milan in the winter window. Gustavo's time at Bayern hasn't been marked with the usual wealth of silverware at the club, however, with the German giants losing their position at the top of the Bundesliga pile to Borussia Dortmund, failing to win the league title since 2010.
4) Gustavo was acclaimed for his performance against Inter on his Champions League debut in February 2011, marking Inter playmaker Wesley Sneijder out of the game and showing a strong range of passing throughout. He also put in impressive displays against Real Madrid in their 2012 Champions League semi-final meeting.
5) Though now a defensive midfielder, Gustavo started out as a left-sided defender and has also played at centre-back, making him a versatile option for Arsenal should they choose to pursue him. He has appeared for the senior Brazil team twice, making his debut in a friendly against Germany in 2011, and following that with an appearance against Ghana.
“I don't know about a transfer. My Bayern contract runs until 2015, and I'd like to fulfil it.”
Arsenal fans, would Luiz Gustavo help to strengthen your midfield? Leave a comment below and let us know...