Rumour has it that Spurs are in the process of finalising a deal that would see them bringing in a new midfielder at the end of the season. Toulouse star Moussa Sissoko is free to negotiate with other clubs, with his deal due to expire at the end of the season, and it's thought that Tottenham are working on a pre-contract agreement with him. talkSPORT's Transfer Spotlight has the details...
Name: Moussa Sissoko
Date of birth: 16 August 1990
Birthplace: Le Blanc-Mesnil, France
Position: Central midfielder
International appearances: 5 (France)
What's the latest?
Moussa Sissoko had previously been linked with Tottenham in 2010, but nothing materialised and the midfielder stayed at Toulouse. With his deal at the French side due to expire in June, the French press claim they have offered him a two-year extension, but the player has refused, instead preferring to move elsewhere. Now, Tottenham are said to be readying a pre-contract agreement with Sissoko that could be finalised in the coming days. Juventus and Newcastle are also said to be interested.
Did you know?
1) Sissoko started out at local team Aulnay-sous-Bois, then moved to Parisian amateur side Red Star 93 before settling at the Toulouse youth academy as a 13-year-old in 2002.
2) After signing his first professional deal in 2006, Sissoko was promoted to the Toulouse first team in June 2007, and made his debut that August against Valenciennes, coming on as a substitute in the 66th minute. Eight days later he played in a Champions League tie against Liverpool, and by the end of the season he had became a regular in the side, making 36 appearances in all competitions.
3) Though often fielded as a defensive midfielder, Sissoko has a decent goal-scoring record for Toulouse, netting 23 in all competitions since his debut. He scored the first brace of his career against Monaco in Febraury 2011, playing his part in a 2-0 victory for the side.
4) Sissoko made 45 appearances in all competitions for Toulouse in the 2009/10 season, by then a stalwart of the side in a more advanced midfield role. He had such an impressive season that he reportedly attracted interest from Tottenham, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan that summer, before Toulouse president Olivier Safran slapped a €30m price tag on the player to ward off suitors.
5) The midfielder was a France regular at youth level, making his debut with the U16 side in 2005, before progressing steadily up to the U21s, where he made 20 appearances. He was handed his first senior cap by Raymond Domenech against the Faroe Islands in October 2009. Most recently, after a two-year absence from the France set-up, he was called up to their squad in October 2010 to face Spain, though he didn't make an appearance.
“Playing in the Premier League would be a dream come true. It's a fantastic league that I love watching.” Sissoko on the chance to come to England.
“He has great athleticism and has made a good start to the season.” France coach Didier Deschamps on recalling Sissoko.
Would Sissoko be a welcome addition to the Spurs set-up? Leave your thoughts below...