While much of the speculation surrounding Manchester United in the transfer market has involved strikers, the Red Devils have yet to address their lack of quality in the midfield. That could change if they can recruit Pescara midfielder Juan Fernando Quintero, so with FC Barcelona and Inter Milan also linked to the star, talkSPORT's Transfer Spotlight reveals all...
Name: Juan Fernando Quintero
Date of birth: 18 January, 1993
Birthplace: Medellin, Colombia
International appearances: 1 (Colombia)
What's the latest?
Quintero's agent recently revealed that FC Barcelona have been tracking his progress with Pescara, and now it looks like Manchester United have picked up the scent. Reports claim that Sir Alex Ferguson is willing to offer €10m to bring the talented midfielder to Old Trafford, but with Inter Milan also said to be entering the race alongside Barca, the Red Devils may struggle to come out on top.
Did you know?
1) The midfielder rose to prominence as a 12-year-old in 2005, when he starred in a local football tournament in Medellin, Colombia. Soon after, Envigado FC incorporated him into their youth ranks.
2) In 2010, Quintero grabbed the headlines in Colombia when he scored the winning goal for Envigado against Deportivo Pasto in the first leg of their play off win, helping them to gain promotion to the first division.
3) After three years in Colombian football, Serie A side Pescara signed Quintero in July 2012. The midfielder marked his arrival in Italy with a stunning free-kick equaliser against Bolognia in September, earning him the label of one of the next big things in Serie A.
4) Quintero is the Colombia U20 side's playmaker, wearing the number 10 shirt formerly donned by Porto's James Rodriguez. So far in the 2013 South American Youth Championship he has starred for his nation, producing man of the match displays in a 1-0 victory over Paraguay and a 6-0 thrashing of Bolivia.
5) The midfielder was called up to the Colombian senior squad to face Peru and Ecuador in May 2012, but failed to make his debut. Coach Jose Pekerman finally handed him his first cap on October 15 in a 3-0 friendly victory over Cameroon.
“I like Inter, but clearly I wouldn't say no to other good teams. I think big: Manchester United, Milan, Juventus. I will decide with my family and Calleri, my agent. I like Inter the most because they have a lot of South Americans, and in Italy I'm comfortable.” Quintero on his future
United fans, would Quintero be a strong addition to your midfield? Let us know below by leaving a comment...