Patrice Evra's renewed vigour may have prolonged his Man United career, but it is no secret that Sir Alex Ferguson is looking to replace the ageing Frenchman. The Premier League leaders were strongly linked with a move for Everton's Leighton Baines during the summer, and while they eventually settled with the signing of Alex Buttner, his failure to fully settle has prompted the search to start again. The latest man earmarked to succeed Evra is Lille full-back Lucas Digne, but is he up to the job? talkSPORT's Transfer Spotlight takes a look at the 19-year-old.
Name: Lucas Digne
Date of birth: 20 July 1993
Birthplace: Meaux, France
International: France U19 (12 caps/1 goal)
What's the latest?
According to various reports, Man United scouts have been monitoring the performances of Digne, who has been ever-present in the Lille defence since breaking into the senior side last season. The 19 year-old has been spoken of as a future France international, having represented his country at every level up to under-19s. While United have been linked with the full-back, they aren't expected to make a concerted move until the summer.
Did you know?
1) A product of the Lille academy since 2005, Digne turned professional in the summer of 2010, initially signing a three-year contract.
2) After being handed a contract, Digne was regularly included in match-day squads, but had to wait until October 2011 for his senior debut, a League Cup victory over Sedan.
3) One of Digne's strong points is his versatility to play anywhere along the left flank. Despite being primarily a full-back, he has been deployed in more advanced positions over the past year.
4) Digne has continued his progression this season, becoming a regular fixture in the Lille defence. So far this season he has played 30 times for Lille (correct as of 25 January 2013), including seven appearances in the Champions League.
5) He was handed a contract extension in December, after Lille learned of the big European interest in Digne. His current deal will see him remain at the club until 2017.
What they say
“His biggest strength is his maturity at such a young age, which reminds me of Eden Hazard. He is a boy with no fear. The most important thing at Lille is economic stability, as it is at any club. If the club has to sell, we will resign ourselves to losing a player with a high value.” - Lille coach Rudi Garcia.
Digne shows off his talents earlier this season
Could Lucas Digne become Patrice Evra's successor at Man United? Let us know your thoughts by commenting below...