Former Man United star Eric Cantona has set tongues wagging after waxing lyrical about the attacking talents of Galatasaray's Burak Yilmaz. The Turkish striker helped dump Schalke out of the Champions League with his eighth European goal this season and his 22nd in all competitions, with Cantona saying, "If he can score this many goals for Galatasaray in the Champions League, I think he could score even more if he was at Manchester United."
Now, given that one of the lowest points in Cantona's United career came when he was sent off in a Champions League match against Galatasaray, as the Red Devils crashed out of Europe, perhaps he was simply being mischievous and winding up his old rivals, but would his old team really benefit from poaching the Turkish poacher? talkSPORT shines its Transfer Spotlight on the hitman to see just how good he is.
Name: Burak Yilmaz
Date of birth: 15 July, 1985
Birthplace: Antalya, Turkey
International: Turkey (23 caps/6 goals)
What's the latest?
After grabbing his eighth Champions League goal in eight games to top the competition's scoring chart this season along with Ronaldo, Burak Yilmaz's Galatasaray future has been the subject of speculation, with Man United and Liverpool rumoured to be interested in the 27-year-old. While Gala chiefs have moved to dismiss any suggestion of a move, Eric Cantona's comments that he would fit in at Man United have prompted fresh suggestions that a move could be on the cards.
Did you know?
1) A native of Antalya, Yilmaz started his career at Antalyaspor, graduating from the club's youth set-up in 2002.
2) He made his debut aged 17 during the 2002/03 season, but he had to wait another two seasons before scoring his first goal, which eventually came against Karsiyaka. Yilmaz went on to score eight goals that season, helping Antalyaspor avoid relegation.
3) His development continued and, after another good season with Antalyaspor, he was transferred to Besiktas. His time in Istanbul was bitter-sweet, however, and while he picked up his first piece of silverware, Yilmaz struggled to score and was sold to Manisaspor, before moving again to Fenerbahce.
4) Yet again, Yilmaz struggled, making just six league appearances and was subsequently loaned to Eskisehispor prior to being sold to Trabzonspor. In just two and a half seasons Yilmaz bagged an incredible 55 league goals, including being awarded the golden boot for the 2011/12 campaign, following 33 goals in 34 games.
5) Last summer Yilmaz moved once more as Galatasaray came calling. His latest transfer means that he is only the second footballer to have played for each of Turkey's four most successful clubs, playing for Besiktas, Fenerbahce, Trabzonspor and now Gala. His form for the club has seen him take the Champions League by storm, as well as being named as the tournament's best player in the group stages.
“Burak Yilmaz is a first class footballer, actually I see a lot of myself in him. If he can score this many goals for Galatasaray in the Champions League I think he could score even more if he was at Manchester United. Manchester United haven't had a player like Burak since Cristiano Ronaldo.” - Former United striker Eric Cantona.
“We have not received any offers for Burak Yilmaz, but, of course, speculation will mount as the end of the season nears closer.” - Galatasaray President Unal Aysal.
Yilmaz's Champions League group goals
Burak Yilmaz's Galatasaray highlights so far this season
Man United fans, would you like to see Burak Yilmaz coming to Old Trafford this summer? Let us know your thoughts by commenting below.