Not since Darren Bent's expletive-laden outburst against Daniel Levy have the worlds of Premier League football and Twitter combined so strangely and hilariously.
Yesterday, Phil Neville was the third most tweeted-about subject on the planet. Yes, we know it sounds odd. And it IS odd. The Everton skipper began trending on Twitter after Toffees fans started hash-tagging his name in reference to his effortless containment of Tottenham man-of-the-moment Gareth Bale last week.
The trend quickly took off - with the tweets becoming increasingly bizarre - and, according to The Sun, more people mentioned the Everton captain on the microblogging site yesterday than wrote about Barack Obama or the US mid-term elections.
Ex-Toffees team-mate Landon Donovan even tweeted: "Phil Neville is trending?!? What has this world come to?!!!"
The bizarre fad produced some very amusing Neville-based comments. Here's the top ten...
1. Death once had a near-Phil Neville experience.
2. If Phil Neville was from Sparta, '300' would just be called '1'.
3. On Day 1, God made Phil Neville. Then he retired and let Phil do the rest.
4. Chuck Norris wears Phil Neville pyjamas.
5. Phil Neville is like a slimmer Buddah. From Bury.
6. Dirk Kuyt used to be a model. Then he insulted Phil Neville's mum...
7. Phil Neville gets the Countdown Conundrum before it's even shown.
8. Phil Neville is Wagner's singing coach.
9. Phil Neville doesn't trend on Twitter. Phil Neville IS Twitter.
10. Phil Neville shot Tupac and Biggie.