Rio Ferdinand has pulled out of the England squad for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro.
The Manchester United defender was recalled last week, having previously been overlooked by Roy Hodgson since he replaced Fabio Capello last year.
But the 34-year-old has opted not to link up with the national team for the games against San Marino on Friday and Montenegro the following Tuesday as he attempts to manage his fitness.
Tottenham defender Steven Caulker, originally in the Under-21 squad, has been called up as a replacement.
Hodgson said: "I'm disappointed Rio will not be available, but due to the detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he must follow it's not possible."
The Three Lions boss, however, insists the door is still open for Ferdinand, after holding positive talks with the veteran centre-back on Sunday.
"I was pleased that Rio called and asked to meet with me," he added. "It was important to hear from him personally about the way he must manage his body between games.
"This is not to say he cannot play back-to-back games - he can and has proven so. He's out this time due to particular pre-planned details already in place for his programme.
"I must place on record how I was impressed with his commitment to playing for England and I look forward to hopefully selecting him for squads in the future."
Ferdinand, who won the last of his 81 caps in a Euro 2012 qualifier at home to Switzerland in June 2011, added: "It was important for me to be able to speak with Roy face to face and explain the situation, and one thing I made clear was that my passion and commitment to represent my country is as strong as ever.
"It is disappointing that I won't be able to play a part in the upcoming games but I told Roy that I want to continue to be available for England and I look forward to working with him in the future."